Friday, October 7, 2011

Iron Maiden


A few years back, I took a boyfriend with me back home to Argentina to meet my friends and family. I remember one weekend we were all together for a traditional asado (barbecue), and as we wrapped things up with mate (traditional tea), café and facturas (pastries) my cousins and I made plans for later that night.

In broken Spanish my boyfriend asked: "You like ... tango?"
"Yes," one of my cousins replied. Then, tentatively and in fractured English, he added, "but also ... Iron Maiden."

"You know Judas Priest?" asked my other cousin.
My guy laughed. By the end of our stay in Argentina, he'd figured out that even though my cousins are pretty into old school metal, the core of Argentine youth loves pure, unbridled rocanrol, whether it's classic or newer, cutting edge stuff.
When I moved to the U.S., and later when I traveled throughout Latin America, I found out that across the Latin population, there's as much love for traditional forms of music as there is for rock. When I first moved here, among the first friends I made were Ecuadorans who loved to take me salsa dancing. But if there was a metal concert in town ... forget about it! They'd drop everything and go headbanging like the best of them. And mind you, we still do.
Which is why this week's show contains rock music from across the Latin world. Venezuelan breakout band La Vida Boheme, in my opinion, delivers one of the best live performances I've ever seen. We've also got Brazilian grunge, a classic Basque act and Mexican rockers from outer space.
We also ask you: Which are your favorite new Latin rock bands? Please tell us in the comments.
And this week we have one more question for our listeners. We've been thinking about doing a Latin heavy metal show in the near future. What do you think of that? And if you like the idea, who'd you want to join us as a guest DJ? We'll drop everything and start headbanging!
Hace unos años, llevé conmigo a un novio a que conozca a mis amigos y a mi familia en Argentina. Me acuerdo de que un fin de semana lo llevé a un asado , y mientras terminabamos el almuerzo con unos mates, café y facturas (panes dulces típicos), mis primos y yo hacíamos planes para salir esa noche.
En el mejor español que pudo, mi novio le preguntó a mi primo: "Te gusta...el tango?"
"Sí" contestó mi primo. Y luego agregó, "Pero también...Iron Maiden."
"Y Judas Priest que te parece?" Acotó mi otro primo.
Mi chico se largo a reir. Para cuando terminó nuestra estadía en mi país, el había aprendido que aunque mis primos son de la vieja escuela del heavy metal, la mayoría de los jovenes en Argentina aman el rock, puro y fuerte, ya sean grupos clásicos, o bandas nuevas.
Cuando me mudé a los Estados Unidos, y luego cuando viajé por América Latina, descubrí que a lo largo de la población, existe un amor por la música tradicional y también por la música de rock. Cuando recién me vine a vivir acá, los primeros amigos que conocí eran unos ecuatorianos a quienes les gustaba llevarme a bailar salsa. Pero si había un concierto de rock- ahí estabamos en primera fila, listos para hacer pogo. Y aclaro: seguimos haciéndolo.
Por eso el show de esta semana tiene música de rock proveniente de todas partes del mundo latino. Por ejemplo en mi opinión, la banda revelación venezolana La Vida Boheme, es una de las mejores bandas que yo he visto en vivo. También tenemos grunge brasilero, un clásico del país Vasco, y unos roqueros mexicanos del espacio exterior.
Y les preguntamos a ustedes: ¿Cuales son sus bandas favoritas nuevas de rock latino? Por favor déjennos dicho en la sección de comentarios.
Y esta semana tenemos una pregunta más para ustedes, nuestros oyentes. Hemos estado pensando en hacer un show de heavy metal latino en el futuro cercano. ¿Que les parece?
¿Y si les gusta la idea, a quien quisieran ver como invitado especial?

No comments:

Post a Comment